Friday, June 10, 2016

Lettuce Wraps

Let me tell you something, Lovelies... NOTHING will get your butt moving like finding a real live scorpion INSIDE of your home... just INCHES away from the area rug where the kids and I finished our family work out. NOTHING. We have had our fair share of them on the outside but when you find one on the inside, it TOTALLY changes things. When Jack discovered it, he started screaming "SCORPION!!! SCORPION!!". I ran out only to find one of the biggest, creepiest, evil bastards I have ever seen. The thing was GINORMOUS. After screaming at the top of our lungs for 25 minutes, I came to my senses and made some calls. Thank goodness for neighbors on speed dial that always come to my rescue. It was Clari this time... our next door neighbor, dear friend AND realtor. She strutted right over and and squashed the ever-living CRAP out of that sucker. Note to self: pick up a bottle of wine for her next time I'm at HEB.



So what does this frightening little tale have to do with this yummy recipe...? Well nothing. I just wanted to share with you, how I started my day. Are you cringing with jealousy!?! Or just cringing?! I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that.

Photo Credit: Buzzfeed

If you're like me, you want to have a quick, easy something in the fridge that you can heat up for lunch... that isn't loaded with carbs and fat. Well let me introduce you to this yummy lettuce wrap recipe. Adapted from one of my favorite Pinterest Foodie Bloggers, Damn Delicious, this one TAKES THE CAKE. I put my own little spin on it/ swapped some things in and some things out... and can honestly say I make a batch, and have it for lunch for the next three days. It's one of those I never get sick of! Try it out and let me know what you think! It tastes even better when you haven't worked up an appetite from screaming and running around like a 6 year old girl, looking for a damn blow torch, to kill your newest, little friend. ;)

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 pound ground chicken
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 2-3 cups chopped baby Bella mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup hoisin sauce (omit if worried about carbs.... it still tastes good, trust me!)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon Sriracha, or more, to taste
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 head butter lettuce

Instructions
  • Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add ground chicken and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the chicken as it cooks; drain excess fat.
  • Stir in garlic, onion, carrots, mushrooms, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger and Sriracha until onions have become translucent, about 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  • To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, taco-style. I sometimes eat it straight from the bowl with my trusty fork.  :o)

1 comment: